Presented by PROFIBUS and PROFINET International and hosted by Endress+Hauser, this event addressed the key practical issues arising from the use of digital communications technologies in automated manufacturing and process industry applications, with particular attention to Industry 4.0 and the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT).
Online survey shows more will be using PI’s technologies
After the event, the delegates were asked to complete an online survey to provide feedback on what they thought of the event, and if they would be more likely to use PROFIBUS, PROFINET or IO-Link.
85% of the responders said “yes” when asked: “Are you now more likely to go ahead or extend your use of PROFIBUS, PROFINET or IO-Link?”
Of these positive responses, quite a few stated they would be going for two or more of these technologies with 70% saying they’d be going ahead with PROFINET, 70% with IO-Link and 40% going for PROFIBUS.
All of the comments made were complimentary, including the following:
- “This event was very helpful to me and I believe it will be helpful to anyone with little to no knowledge of Profibus / Profinet. I was able to gain insight on what the two protocols were in more detail as well as how the industry is making use of these. Certain presentations may not have been applicable to myself but it was interesting to hear about these topics. Presenters had a good grasp of the topic they spoke about.”
- “I thought the event was very good, and very good speakers. The buffet was lovely and the room comfortable. I did like the fact that you invited representatives from companies across a wide spectrum. I thought however that there was not sufficient time to properly engage with these people.” – Richard Rayner, NMCN
- “Very well organised event, well done!”
- “Very well structured and enjoyable. More integrated demonstrations would have made some material more engaging.” Dan Harris, Cummins Generator Technologies
- “The event was good, but coming from an environment where we have little knowledge of these protocols, was a little hard going.”
- “Well organised best yet.” Mark Watkins, MBH Plc
- “A very informative day, good speakers and pace.” Mark Binks, Manchester Metropolitan University
- “Very useful for keeping up with current topics and technology.”
- “Informative and well organised.”
More about the event
The event covered key application areas such as control systems and energy management, pulp & paper, chemical, utilities, pharmaceutical, mechanical handling and logistics, robotics, automotive engineering, electrical and electronics assembly, packaging and printing. It focused on the practical aspects of using PROFINET, PROFIBUS and IO-Link, from system design and safety considerations through to fault-finding and maintenance.
And a last minute surprise …
Sustainability Today magazine sent a representative to the seminar to present an award announcing that PI UK had been selected as their Industrial Networking Systems Company of the Year. Photos show members of the UK Steering Committee, the presenters and exhibitors proudly displaying the award.